So, I bought Cherry Hill season passes today for the girls and I. We will be there every day but Sunday, if ever you need to find me. Anyway, while we were there, having a picnic, this lady next to us starts teasing her friend about being a food snob. She apologized for feeding her friend's child a lunchable and was surprised that the kid had never even had one before. All the rest of the friends joined in and started teasing her. One friend almost made the mistake of feeding the food snob's kid a PB&J on WHITE bread. When the friend being teased finally apologized for being so overly healthy the friend who started it all said, "It's OK, everyone is a snob. I'm an east side snob, I don't like to go to the west side." So and So is an exercise snob, so and so is a grammar snob, another one is a spelling snob. "So," she concludes, "everyone is a snob in their own way."
I thought it was kind of funny, and I started to wonder if I was a snob. Friends that are close to me, am I obsessive enough about anything to be a snob like the food snob? Maybe I'm a clean snob. No. Maybe I'm a book snob? No. Definitely not an exercise snob.... I know, I'm a hypocritical snob. I know, you're thinking, "I already knew that." OK, I set myself up, that's not what I meant.
I hate it when people profess to be one way but are actually another. OK, so maybe everyone is this way, at least a little, just because we all have a different views of ourselves.
Tera, Cami, and I were just having this discussion about people of our faith, who get caught up in the "letter" of the law and forget about the "spirit" of the law. People who pat themselves on the back for never missing church, and never making a mistake, but are so quick to judge others.
I have ran into so many people who are so turned off by my faith because they have encountered such people. Don't get me wrong, I believe in living my life the best I possibly can, but I don't expect others to live the same standard I commit to live. AND I don't judge them, or make them feel less because they don't live the same way I live. If you are a friend of mine, and you have encountered such people, who have ticked you off, because of their, or my own pompousness, I'm so sorry.
The spirit of what I believe is so much more than the set of "rules" by which we live. Love is what it comes down to. Love is what Christ taught, love is the hardest thing to remember to give and receive. Love is the "spirit" of the law. Living the "letter" of the law doesn't matter if the "spirit" of the law is forgotten. Sorry to go on and on, but this really bugs me.
So, I conclude, I'm a snob, and by being one I am a hypocrite myself. Hahaha. Are you a snob?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
You are a book snob, and I am a grammar snob. :)
I am a hair snob, I can't go places without looking at other peoples hair and deciding what cut they have and what cut they should really have, noticing color, and mens haircuts are the worst because I notice the blinding mistakes. Yes I am definatly a hair snob
I meant blending mistakes. sorry
Charity, I'm so glad you found me and said Hi. It looks like things are going well for you guys and your girls are so grown up and darling. Wow I can't believe you're a teacher now. That's great and such a huge accomplishment especially with two kids. I'm glad we can keep in touch again.
I am just a snob snob. Definitly a grammar and book snob and probably a number of other types of snob. Great to find you blog. Sounds like you are doing great.
Post a Comment